MADISON, WI (WTAQ) - Three Wisconsinites got sick by adding chia powder to their food, in an attempt to eat healthier.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control announced the illnesses Friday. The three were among 21 people in 12 states who came down with salmonella poisoning linked several brands of chia powder.
The CDC said two people were hospitalized, but the agency did not say where those people were from.
Williams-Sonoma chia powder has been recalled -- along with Organic Traditions, Green Smoothie Girl, and Navitas Naturals.
The CDC warned consumers that chia powder can have a long shelf life, so folks should check their shelves to see if they have any of the recalled products.
Officials said the salmonella symptoms include fever, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps. They can start anywhere from 12 hours to three days after a person's infected.
(Story courtesy of Wheeler News Service)