MILWAUKEE (WTAQ) - Prosecutors in Milwaukee are considering charges in the death of a seven-day-old boy who was suffocated by his sleeping mother.
The medical examiner’s office has ruled the death an accident.
Officials said the mother drank vodka and took pain pills on Sunday night – and she didn’t remember putting the baby back to sleep after he was fed at 1:30 a.m. on Monday.
The boy’s father found the infant dead around 4 a.m. He was lodged between his mother and the back of a couch where the two were sleeping.
The child was born on New Year’s Eve. He’s the first baby to die in Milwaukee in the New Year because of an unsafe sleep environment.
Ten such deaths were reported in 2012.